Greenfield is a special school located in Pentrebach, Merthyr Tydfil, for pupils 3-19 years of age. We are the only special school in the authority. At Greenfield, we have an excellent provision for a wide range of pupils with special needs, including moderate, severe and profound learning difficulties, specific learning difficulties, autism spectrum disorders and pupils with emotional and behavioural difficulties. Here at Greenfield, we create a strong sense of belonging that extends to our families and the local community. Our pupils are given opportunities to push their boundaries and develop skills for independence. We share and celebrate each other's efforts and success and support each other in our aspirations to achieve.
- There are three school buildings consisting of the Primary Department, Secondary Department and Post 16 Department. We have 19 classes within the three departments. Pupils are grouped by key stage, ability and individual needs including:
- Foundation Phase, KS2, KS3, KS4 and Post16.
- Pupils with Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties are grouped to ensure their particular needs for a sensory curriculum are met alongside their medical needs.
- Pupils with Autism Spectrum Disorder are integrated as much as possible into key stage groups or, depending on the individual needs of the pupil, can be taught in a designated group.
- Inclusion opportunities in mainstream lessons in local; schools and colleges are provided when deemed suitable.
- Class sizes are significantly smaller than in mainstream school with a high staff pupil ratio. There is an average of 6-13 pupils in each class with 3-6 staff depending on the needs and abilities of pupils in that particular class.